Thursday 13 December 2012

Scatter Brained

My brother is the best, though a bit scatter brained.

Rosie has always been the baby to him, someone to protect, and usually has a keen eye for what she's interested in. And for the most part he's got it down pat, Rosebug likes astronomy and is a bit of a geek in one way. So for Christmas he got her an telescope and all this astronomy stuff. But She's getting to the age (9, nearly 10) where the girls in class are wearing more make up and boys are supposed to be appealing.

I think its hard for her to fit in I think. Cody is a big influence on her life. She wants to be strong like her big brother, but he like's strange things and so when she wears the rob Zombie shirt to school, thinking its cool, the other kids make fun of her. I remember when I got teased at school, and hell hath no fury like my brother slighted. We never lacked a protective figure in our lives.

In any case, he's not really noticing Rosie's interest in more feminine things.For example, she had friends over the other day, just two girls for a play afternoon and they were asking Sketch and I to do their make-up and hair for them. Which came as a surprise to Sketch.

I'd noticed it earlier in the fall. More than noticed it. She came home with me one day crying. One of the girls at her school had called her clothes ugly. I have a feeling Rosie won't be a popular girl. I didn't tell Cody, but I did go to the school myself and talk to the teacher who was really nice and encouraged children to wear what ever they wanted. I learned that it was the French class that the insident happened and the french teacher is less inclined to the black scary t-shirts Rosebug likes to wear. I've been asking around to the 'girls' Allie, Lola, Sketch and see if they can't give me a hand, or hint at their boys to get Rosie clothes or gift cards.

I guess in that way Cody and I are different. He's the big defender. When bad stuff happens he will be there no matter what. I've defended Rosie before, instead I get to be the helper. The in between the big events and helping with the little things. Like when Rosie has questions about the birds and the bees, I was the one to help her, or even when she was younger, when she's scared, she comes in to my bed.

Really though its not much different from what Cody did. I used to go in his room all the time when I was younger, even up when I was fourteen and stuff. And when he was gone at school or work, I would sleep with Rosie in his room. I guess with me getting older, I sort of took over his roll as he strived to get financially independents and now that he's got the business and we don't live with mom anymore, we're able to sort of relax in our roles, and he gets to ease up on one role. He's the best brother I could have ever wished for.

Rosie will get some nice clothes, and maybe a little play make up. Keep her out of the baby/power blues though >_<. She has a pierced ears already, she wouldn't be our sister if she didn't have a piercing.
***

Came back from shopping with Sketch and Lola. They were kinda excited, because they got to show for Ash and Eli as well. Sketch I guess has sisters but they're older and but Lola doesn't so they had fun picking things out.

Anyway, Cookie baking for the upcoming Christmas Party.

Cheers

Jennifer Sulman





No comments:

Post a Comment